August 7, 2018

Dear Mom,

Most people assume that I’m going to be an author when I grow up. While I do love to write, it’s not something I necessarily want to do for a living. It’s not just a hobby, it’s the way I cope. I process through writing, it’s my escape, and it keeps me sane.

This is why I’m going to try something new. I’m going to start writing letters to my birth mother. I got the idea from a devotional I read two years ago. I was skimming through it again, and the author had written how she writes letters to her future husband (Just Us Girls). Through this idea, I was inspired to write to my birth mom. Writing a letter to someone you don’t even know might sound strange, but I haven’t met my future husband yet, and I could still write to him if I want to!

On Mother’s Day, I had made a card for my mom, but I felt bad that I wasn’t making one for my birth mom.

So, I made her a card. It just said that I was thinking of her, and I didn’t blame her for what she did. I had a sense of peace, and I felt like she knew about it, even if the card still sits there in my Bible.

So how do you go about writing a letter like this? Well, it’s just like writing a normal letter, but you will never mail it.

  • Grab a piece of paper and your favorite pen or your laptop. 
  • Address the letter to your birth mom, dad, or both, and write down the date.
  • Write! Tell them what’s going on or what made your day amazing. 

At first, it will sound cheesy, and you will probably want to rip it up. But please don’t! Eventually, your letters will sound less awkward and more natural. It just takes time and practice. After you are done, keep them in one place, and if you ever meet your birth parents, then you can give them all the letters if you choose to.

I’m going to do this, and maybe you can join me? I think it takes time to talk to someone you don’t even know; it may even feel uncomfortable. I am convinced that going through this process, though, does make me feel better, and I hope this will help you, too. Please feel free to tell us about your letters or ideas in the comments below. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out more posts!